Thursday, July 8, 2010

React?...or Respond?



This is what appears to be a psychedelic view of downtown Toronto. That view was created solely by my camera, not by me. I snapped the shot...the camera did the rest. So how do you think I felt when I saw that photo come out of my camera? Was I upset? Was I shocked? Was I amused?

These are the types of questions that arise every time we're confronted with any type of situation in our daily lives. What do we do - react...or respond? And what's the difference between reacting and responding?

The way I see it, everything that life presents us is an opportunity - an opportunity to choose - to choose the positive or the negative. What do you usually choose? Does it depend on what kind of mood you're in? Does it depend on circumstances outside your sphere of influence? What's your governing factor?

Let me offer you what works for me. My governing factor is always the positive. And that's what I call a "response". It takes time to respond. It isn't automatic. It's based on your belief system. I choose to take the time to think about the circumstances presented to me, and to think about what works for me and what doesn't. That's what I call a "response".

On the other hand, a "reaction" is something that happens automatically, without much outside control. A reaction is triggered by a catalyst - something that works to create something else when the two are joined, irregardless of any other contributing factors. And that situation leaves you totally out of control!

So when you're faced with any of life's challenging circumstances, take the time to "respond", not "react". Take the high road. Express the positive. Do what works best for you and for those around you. The main difference between "react" and "respond" is time. So take that time. Take the time to choose what's best. And I guarantee you that you'll be happy with the results! Enjoy!!

Cheers,
Gareth Marples


And now that you have your thoughts in the right place, make them work for you: Making Your Thoughts Work for You by Dr. Wayne W. Dyer; Byron Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment